Pav bhaji is a popular street food in India that originated in Mumbai. It is a delicious and filling dish made with a spicy vegetable curry (bhaji) and soft buttered buns (pav).
Here is a step-by-step recipe to make pav bhaji at home
Ingredients for making pav bhaji recipe
- 4 medium-sized potatoes
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 1 capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 2-3 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon pav bhaji masala
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 8 pav buns
- Chopped coriander leaves, for garnish
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Butter, for toasting the buns
- Boil the potatoes and green peas in a pressure cooker or a pot until they are soft and tender. Once done, peel the potatoes and mash them with a potato masher. Keep the mashed potatoes and green peas aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil and a tablespoon of butter in a large pan. Add the chopped onions and sauté until they turn translucent.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté for a few seconds until the raw smell goes away.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until they turn mushy and oil starts to separate from the mixture.
- Add the chopped capsicum and green chilies and sauté for a few minutes until the capsicum turns soft.
- Add the mashed potatoes and green peas and mix well. Add pav bhaji masala, red chili powder, and salt to taste. Mix well until all the ingredients are combined.
- Add 1-2 cups of water and stir well. Let the mixture simmer for 10-15 minutes until the bhaji thickens and the flavors are well blended.
- Meanwhile, heat a tawa or a griddle and toast the pav buns with some butter until they turn golden brown on both sides.
- Once the bhaji is ready, garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve the hot and spicy bhaji with toasted pav buns, a dollop of butter, and also a lemon wedge.
- You can add other vegetables like carrots, cauliflower, or beans to the bhaji as per your preference.
- Adjust the spice level according to your taste by adding more or less of red chili powder and green chilies.
- You can also garnish the bhaji with chopped onions and lemon wedges for extra flavor.
- Toasting the pav buns with butter adds a delicious flavor to the dish. You can also use a griddle or a toaster to toast the buns.
- Also, make sure the bhaji is thick and not runny. If it is too runny, let it simmer for a few more minutes until it thickens.
- Serve the pav bhaji hot for the best flavor and taste.
In conclusion, pav bhaji is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that is perfect for a quick meal or a party snack. Moreover, with this recipe, you can easily make it at home and enjoy the spicy and flavorful taste of this popular street food.