Onion Benefits: Everyone runs in the name of cutting onions because onions always make everyone cry. It is considered to be the basic ingredient of Indian food. Onion enhances the taste, aroma, or flavor of any dish.
Along with enhancing the taste of food, onion is also very beneficial for health. The medicinal properties of onions have been recognized since ancient times when they were used to treat ailments such as headaches, heart disease, and mouth ulcers.
A few tips will give you information about the onion benefits and properties of eating onions-
- Onions are rich in nutrients. Onions are low in calories but high in nutrients including vitamin C, B vitamins, and potassium.
- Research shows that eating onions can help reduce the risk factors for heart disease. The flavonoids present in onions help in reducing the bad cholesterol in your body.
- Onions are a rich source of prebiotics, which help promote digestive health. Onions are particularly rich in the prebiotics inulin. These help in increasing the number of friendly bacteria in your gut.
- According to the US Department of Agriculture, an onion contains 25.3 mg of calcium. Calcium equals strong bones, so adding it to your salad can help you build better bone health.
- Many of us avoid eating onions because they cause bad breath. But know that this onion maintains good oral hygiene due to its vitamin C content.
- Onion is rich in Vitamin A, C, and K and all these vitamins are required for the skin.
- You can also eat raw onion daily to avoid heatstroke in summer.
- Onions are among the richest food sources of a nutrient called quercetin. A quercetin-rich diet has been associated with a lower risk of developing lung cancer.
- Both the quercetin and organic sulfur compounds found in onions are known to promote insulin production, making them a helpful vegetable choice for those with diabetes.
(Disclaimer: The information given here is based on general information. Please take medical advice before adopting it. THE MONK does not endorse it).